What We Do
The goal of Meals on Wheels of Rowan, Inc. (MOW) is to serve a weekday lunch-time meal to every homebound citizen of Rowan County who is assessed to need MOW services, without regard to county location or ability to pay. MOW policy is to charge the client the direct cost of the meal (the price MOW pays to the provider). As a standard, many clients are able to pay only part or nothing toward the full price of the meal. Therefore, MOW adopted a sliding fee scale (using the criteria of government poverty level standards) to determine if clients pay only a part or nothing toward the direct meal cost. Additional project costs (costs involved in getting the meal from the meal site to the client) are not charged to the client. These costs are met by other funding sources to address the difference between the direct meal cost, client's ability to pay, and additional costs of the project.
Our MOW Hunger Relief program in Rowan County presently serves an average of 200 lunch-time meals 5 days a week. The program serves all, without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, and/or ability to pay. MOW clients are 98% aged 65+ and the remaining 2% are physically disabled citizens under age 50.
Weekday meals are designed to provide a daily nutritious meal.
The meals are prepared at 2 different sites. At the meal preparation
site, the heat retaining/sealed individual serving containers are
filled and then packed into thermal transport containers. Each
client receives one HOT and one COLD sealed/compartmentalized
meal tray. The HOT tray contains the meat and two vegetables and
the cold tray contains the beverage, bread and dessert portions of
the client’s meal. MOW staff verifies cooler meal counts before
volunteers pick up. HOT meal trays are packed in new thermal
transport carriers which provide improved heat retention. COLD
meal trays are packed separately to retain a cool temperature.
Volunteers come to one of three locations to pick up the meals for delivery. Volunteers leave the pick up site and deliver to clients according to "route cards" which provide directions to clients' homes. A limited number of stops (average 10 per route) ensure the meals are served fresh and as warm as possible.
Daily review and redesign of routes is required to maintain route order, insure quality and efficiency, and to accommodate the client turnover. MOW staff members are responsible for soliciting and coordinating the volunteers that pick-up and deliver meals and, if necessary, fill in for a missing volunteer. In November, clients receive an emergency meal (shelf-safe) to be used when meals cannot be delivered due to inclement weather.
Copyright 2016 © Meals on Wheels of Rowan, Inc.. All rights reserved.